Plus I like to watch the cool shapes come out of my machine. Here’s a little pictorial history of my most recent pasta entertainment, as well as a great sauce recipe with an interesting technique, using canned tomatoes and just a few other ingredients, courtesy of Bon Appetite.
I am making Bucatini here…probably my favorite noodle. Twirly, like spaghetti, but with a bigger heft. Basically a heavier spaghetti with a hole in the middle. All the better to soak up that sauce. It’s ideal for heartier, winter sauces because it can stand up to whatever chunkiness you throw on it.
Bucatini with Butter Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 anchovy filets, packed in oil OR 1 Tbsp.of anchovy paste (find this tube in the Italian aisle in the grocery store)
- ¼ c unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. of bucatini
- Grated parmesan for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands in a bowl and add the garlic, anchovies (or paste), butter and red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture into a 13″ x 9” baking dish The dish size is important. Too small and it will not reduce properly. Too big and it will dry out.
- Bake, tossing once until the garlic is soft and the mixture is the texture of preserves-35-40 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, break up the tomatoes and garlic a little bit more. You can also put the mixture into a food processor and pulse a second or two. Don’t over process-you want this sauce chunky.
- Pour this sauce into a large fry pan and keep warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta. Reserve about ½ C of pasta water.
- Lift the pasta into the fry pan with the sauce.
- Add half of the pasta water.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook the pasta for a few minutes to allow the noodles to soak up the sauce. If it seems to dry, add a bit more pasta water.
- Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese. Twirl.
Ah, go ahead and use boxed pasta…I won’t tell!
785 Sumneytown Pike
Lansdale, PA 19446