We’ve talked about carpeting fibers before, but are you curious about the various types of carpet? Keep reading for the seven most common varieties.
7 Popular Carpet Types
1. Frieze: This is probably one of the most popular types of carpet right now. This is a product that bounces back very well. It gives the look of two different yarn colors in some cases and hides footprint and vacuum marks much better than most carpet types due to a higher twist level than most carpets (most carpets have 3.5 to 5 turns or twists per inch, whereas a frieze may have 7-9 turns per inch).
2. Velvet Plush: These luxuriously soft types of carpet are perfect for elegant homes. Rich, dense and beautiful, velvet carpet is made with tightly twisted tufts. Although it’s a high-quality choice, it’s worth noting that if it’s not installed correctly, parts of the carpet can look crushed, which is called ‘watermarking’ or ‘pooling.’ Make sure you hire a certified installer like San Jose Hardwood Floors to prevent this from happening.
3. Saxony Pile: Soft and plush, these carpet types are woven together densely and popular for bedrooms and elegant living rooms areas. They’re often thought of as high-quality and luxurious.
4. Pattern and level loop: Loop carpets are created by weaving loops of fiber together. Level loop carpeting’s loops are all the same height, whereas patterned loops have very slight height differences to add a bit of texture.
5. Berber: These types of carpet are also very popular. There are a number of varieties and fibers to choose from, all of which are durable, spill resistant, versatile, comfortable beneath your feet and cost-effective.
6. Cut-Pile Berber: Another option to consider, these carpet types use the same cut pile construction in addition to offering the advantages of Berber carpeting.
Curious what cut pile is? These carpet types feature, “A strategic cut of the loops that are created during the weaving process. The loops are cut to the same height and allowed to tuft slightly. This approach gives the pile the appearance of softness and can be employed with various levels of thickness in the pile. As a result, the carpet often appears to be very dense and provides a cushion for the foot.”
7. Shag: These types of carpet have started becoming popular again recently. Their piles are much deeper than other varieties, giving them a soft, shaggy appearance.
Runner up: Camelot’s Posh style is very popular right now as well. It features textured cut pile tweed and comes in 30 different colors.
Want to know more about various carpet types and which options may work well in your home? Come visit our showroom and talk to our flooring experts! Don’t forget to contact us for a free in-home estimate, too.
Photo courtesy of Shaw Floors